Friday, June 17, 2011

Ears and Tears

Today, as with all other days, my mind was floating aimlessly through the void of thought.  As a free thinker and an apt analytic, I often will sit and ponder without coming to any sort of conclusion about many questions, situations, or ideas.  Once my stream of consciousness begins it's journey I have no telling where it will take me.  Today it slowly made its way to a point of comfort and asked me a simple question: Why do I play video games?  A simple question should deserve a simple answer, but no.  Not this question.  This question awoke my inner analytical machine and turned it against myself, and I am happy to say I survived.  And not only did I survive, in my introspection I procured an answer.  The music.


Most would look at this answer as less than adequate, because a video game is much more than it's soundtrack.  I could not agree more.  From concept to completion, the soundtrack is a very small part of the video game.  But let me ask you this: When you are loading a game, or thinking about a game, or reminiscing with friends about a game..... What is already playing in your head?  If I were to say 'The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time' what is playing in your head?  Could it be the epic Song of Time, or one of the many memorable melodies from that great game?  (It could just be the annoying blue fairy that makes you want to commit suicide, but we don't talk about that.)
My personal favorite from Zelda




My point is that games would not be as epic as they are or nearly as fun to play if they didn't have the awe inspiring music to go with them.  Personally, every time I put in Halo: Reach I can hear the pounding percussion of the Title Sequence long before it hits my TV screen.  The music is half the experience, half the excitement, and a majority of the energy.  If you doubt me, imagine Kratos from 'God of War' slaying Titans and Gods to anything other than this song.


The previous 2 songs are a couple of my personal favorites.  I will post a few more now so you can listen and see what I'm talking about.  Let the visions of gameplay begin!












And here is a little easter egg for you.  The song that inspired the motto for L33t Str33t, and some gameplay to go with. (HINT: register for the league!)


Thank you for putting up with my philosophical antics for today.  It isn't a regular occurrence, I promise.

Saint

No comments:

Post a Comment