Sunday, June 5, 2011

Close Quarters Report

Friends and fellow gamers, as I sit down at my computer today I can breathe a contemptuous sigh of relief. Close Quarters was a success and you, my awesome community, played a huge role in that.  I want you all to pat yourselves on the back for making this possible.  I learned a lot about what I can plan ahead for and how I can make the next tournament better by tenfold, the foundation is already being laid.  I can promise you that we will have some incredible throw-downs in the future. 


THE BRACKET and RECAP
For those of you who didn't participate and are reading, teams were more than eager to sit down an battle it out.  After my introductory speech, everyone knew this tournament was about friendly competitive gameplay and laying the foundation for a gaming community of the future.  The respect and sportsmanship I witnessed between teams was awe inspiring.  Applause between rounds, hand shakes, and friendly smack talk was more than I had hoped for.  I was blown away by the caliber of gamers I was surrounded by.


The bracket went as shown:





Sole Uce
                                      DIG ‘EM BOYS
DIG ‘EM BOYS
                                                                            DIG ‘EM BOYS
Squid Reactor
                                     STRATONS With Pride
STRATONS With Pride
                                                                                                    DIG ‘EM BOYS
Teh Bombzor
                                     UN1C0RN
UN1C0RN
                                                                             PPGD
PPGD
                                     PPGD
TFM

DIG 'EM BOYS took first, followed by PPGD in second.  Their final 3 battles were all won by DIG 'EM BOYS, who I think stood the test of time.  PPGD looked a little leery after so much gameplay.  They played as a unit and communicated well, but in the end DIG 'EM BOYS maintained their lead and won out.  PPGD team captain PiMpIn MaStEr 5 exclaimed "Its the WX curse, we would have won if it was a Utah-BYU thing."  Does anyone else smell a rematch? 

Third place was taken by UN1C0RN, followed by STRATONS With Pride in fourth.  Both teams demonstrated superior coordination, communication, and all around fighting skill.  These two teams were the only teams to select Objective game types and it was interesting to see how things played out in the end.  UN1C0RN started with their game type, Neutral Assault, on Hemorrhage.  Both teams duked it out bringing the score to 1-1 early in the game, however UN1C0RN pulled ahead and secured control of the bomb.  They took the first round. STRATONS With Pride were well prepared on their chosen game type and map and earned a solid victory.  The last round went to UN1C0RN, who out slayed in the tie breaker round.  

All teams played admirably, and Im proud to have been able to bring everyone together to brawl it out.  I would recommend everyone keep playing and practicing; you know your competition now.  The L33t Halo League information will hit the home page this week.  You all will get your chance at revenge.  

I would be a liar if I said I didn't learn anything from watching everyone play.  There were ambush strategies executed that I had never seen before, 1v1 brawls that I would have been nervous to be in, and a whole lot of organized grenade tosses that would have sent me running (if i survived).  All in all, I think everyone has a special new technique they saw that they are going to refine, revamp, and reuse on their opponents.  I may have created a mutating breed of adaptive Halo fanatics who will become the most intimidating teams around.  I am ok with this.


PICTURES!!




















GAME NIGHTS
We are going to start doing weekly game nights where everyone is invited to bring themselves, their friends, their custom maps, and their egos.  Depending on how many RSVP will decide on how many groups we have playing.  The day will have to change weekly, so I will try to get you the day we are planning on as soon as I can.  

END RESULT
Close Quarters brought together 32+ gamers who will I hope will spread the word about us at L33t Str33t.  Our community will enjoy any and all events we plan, and if you guys have any request give us a holler.  We will respond to all of your messages be it email, facebook, or other.

Shoulder your guns, it's time to roll!  \m/

Saint


1 comment: